Saturday, December 22, 2012

These days






It's quiet around here these days.  We took Rachel to the airport on Wednesday and now the house feels empty without her around.  Two months went by so quickly, and we had such a good time with her. All my friends that met her wanted her to stay, and my students loved her.  I think it was hard for her to say goodbye.  I know it was for me.

But honestly, I'm welcoming the slower pace that we've had around here the last few days, even though I know it won't last long.  Year-end parties, Christmas parties, and New Year parties are in the future, which means our schedules will be busy again.  But I don't mind it.  I think it's important to be around people during the holidays.  Even if it's not our families, it's our extended Japanese family, who have become an important part of our lives.

But with all the parties and friends, I can't help but feel a little melancholy.  Having Rachel here made me realize how much I need her around.  We kind of complete each other, if that makes any sense.  But I'm happy she was able to stay for so long, and I'm looking forward to another beautiful Christmas season in Sapporo.  The city's really showing off this year, with lots and lots of snow almost every day.  Ethan's got the Christmas movies ready to go, and we'll kick off the Christmas week with Home Alone, hot chocolate, and some last-minute Christmas shopping.  I guess I won't be resting too much after all.  Oh well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment