Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hokuyo Graduation, Pt. 2


So, before the earthquake hit last Friday, the third-graders had a "goodbye party" as they called it, to mark their last day of junior high school. There were a few speeches, of course, a slideshow of the third-graders throughout their years at the school, but being as this is Hokuyo JHS, there was lots of singing.

First, the first grade sang a song to the third grade...


...then the second grade...

...and finally the third grade sang their goodbye song to the whole school.

And just when I thought it was wrapping up, I heard my name amidst lots of other Japanese words I didn't know. Suddenly, all the students were looking at me and I was told to please come on the stage. So I slowly make my way, looking like a deer in the headlights, and not knowing what's going on. Then one of the third graders tells me - in English - that they've enjoyed working with me these three months and would like to give me a present for me to remember them. Then she gave me a booklet that said , "Dear Sarah" on the front - every third grader had written me a goodbye message. It was the sweetest thing, and I didn't know what to say......and then I was asked to make a speech. It went something like, "Wow, this is a surprise! Thank you so much, I've enjoyed meeting everyone of you, and I wish I had more time with you. You are all great students ......"We're crazy!", said my favorite group of girls I called the Crazy Girls......"Yes, and you're crazy too, and that's OK. I hope I see you all again!"

"We love you!!", yelled my Crazy Girls.

When I got home, amidst all the craziness happening, I opened the book they gave me and read every single page - all 120. Here's just a few of my favorites:

I'm very powerful, I'm sure you knew that.

See you next someday...

Wait, my eyes were enhaled?

It's good to be boosted

Those l's and r's are difficult for the Japanese

Short and sweet

I think it's pretty obvious how I feel about these kids. In such a short time, they made such a difference in my life, and I hope they feel the same way about me! I gave a few of them my e-mail, and they've already been keeping in contact with me - telling me what they ate for dinner, if they were accepted into the high school they wanted to go to. It makes me so happy to see them trying to use the best English they can. Actually, the connection I made with these kids convinced me to accept a high school teaching position in August. I'm hoping to see some of them at Keihoku Commercial High School!!


My crazy girls - Miku, Maayu, and Runa


Cute girls, Aoi and Honoka

And some cute boys. Man, they loved taking pictures!!


This is Shohei. He asked me to eat lunch with him a few times. Sometimes when I'd walk by, he'd quietly say, "I love you".


No comments:

Post a Comment