Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happenings

Lately, I've been feeling really tired.  The kind of tired where you want to go to bed at 9:30 and not get out of bed in the morning.  And no, it's not because I'm pregnant (haha), I think I'm just tired of winter.  But it's getting a little bit warmer every day, and I can just feel that spring is just around the corner.

So here's what's been going on in my world lately:


  • Keihoku had their graduation for the third graders last Thursday.  It was nice, and almost exactly like the junior high graduations.  I couldn't understand any of the speeches, so I entertained myself by watching some of the other teachers nod off for quick naps.  I didn't get to teach the third graders, so I didn't know too many of them, except the ones in English club.  It's always neat to see some of the moms and female teachers wearing kimono.  
graduation flowers
  • Takuya and I performed once again at Monkey Bar, and despite the heavy snowfall, we had a good turnout.  We sang a few new songs, as well as the old stand-bys.  I feel like we're getting better with every performance, and we're even thinking of branching out and writing our own songs.  My friends have been so supportive through it all, coming to our performances.  I feel so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life!

  • When I lived in Texas, seeing live music was a big part of my life.  Me and my sister would go to venues quite frequently, and I made friends with lots of musicians, local and from other places.  I've been lucky to see a few bands perform here in Sapporo, and one of my favorites is Wakaba.

They call themselves the Drunken Scottish Band, and although I don't know about the drunk part, they certainly have roots in Scotch/Irish punk rock (think Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys, but in Japanese).  They've got a bagpipe, accordion, fiddle, and mandolin, and boy, do they know how to rock it.  Did I mention they wear kilts?

Takuya and I met with leader/bagpipe player of the band, and we may open for them sometime in the near future.  A really nice guy, and love to get to know them more.  

They played this song Sunday, and I was happy I could sing along!  



No comments:

Post a Comment