Sunday, September 1, 2013

On starting my 4th year in Japan.

Once again, August flew by as it normally does.  It's the month of summer vacation in Japan, and I took some nenkyu (paid vacation) days to relax and spend time with my boys and my friends, some of who left to return to their home countries.

August also marked the third year we've lived in Japan.  I can't even believe it.  Who would have ever thought we'd stay here this long?  I certainly didn't.  But here we are, starting our fourth year in Sapporo.

My first school, three years ago.


Since moving here:
Nathan ran 110K and became a teacher at HIS.
I took the JLPT (3 times) and started singing for an audience again.
Ethan started Japanese calligraphy classes and became a high schooler..

Among other things.

 I would never trade my experience I've had living and teaching here.  It's stretched me in ways that have made me a better person and a better teacher.  As an American from a small town, I think it's easy to become insular and to not want to explore beyond the world in which you're familiar.  But once you move to another country, it completely changes your view of the world that I think so many of us create for ourselves by what we see on the internet or on TV.

I cannot wait to see what in store for us this fourth year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment