Sunday, May 15, 2011

Only in Japan: Hanami



So spring is creeping its way toward Sapporo, even though I'm still wearing long sleeved shirt and jackets. Perhaps the most noticeable sign of spring is the Sakura blossoms, which first bloom in Okinawa in February, and work their way up north. Sakura, or cherry blossoms, are synonymous with Japan, and I was excited to see them slowly blooming over the last week. However, I did not know about "Hanami" which is a celebration of spring and sakura by having a picnic outside under the sakura blossoms. Apparently it's quite a big deal, with some hanami parties lasting late into the night.

We were lucky enough to have a sunny day today, which was a perfect opportunity for me and the boys to go out and enjoy the sakura. We walked to a park close to the apartments, sat on the grass, and enjoyed the beautiful spring day.







A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment