Saturday, September 15, 2012

On failure


So, I didn't pass the JLPT level 4.

Not that that's really a surprise to me.  I was pretty sure I failed after I took the vocabulary section of the test (which, remarkably, I passed that section).  What got me was reading.  And if you fail one section, you can't pass the test.  Which stinks, as far as I'm concerned.

Am I disappointed?  A little.  I really did study, and studied hard - especially grammar, as evidenced by my A score!  I'm not a perfectionist, but I am hard on myself, and I'm always thinking that my Japanese should be better than it is, especially for living here 2 years now.  What it all comes down to is confidence - I'm always afraid I'll sound stupid when I speak, and I get really shy about it.  But I should take a lesson from my students at Keihoku.  The best English speakers are the ones that aren't afraid to try and take risks.  And that's what I need to do.  I'm not gonna sound like a native Japanese speaker, and that's ok.  I don't think anyone expects that.

Will I try the test again?  Not sure.  Probably.  Having a test to work towards keeps me motivated.  And Takuya's volunteered to help by writing me text messages only in Japanese.  Let the studying commence!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear it, but you'll do better next time, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete